Las Animas County Reports Fourth Confirmed Case of COVID-19
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
May 1, 2020
Contact: Kim Gonzales
Public Health Director
Las Animas County, CO - Las Animas Huerfano Counties District Health Department has received confirmation that a Las Animas County resident has tested positive for Coronavirus Disease/COVID-19. This is the fourth confirmed case of a resident currently within the county.
This individual is in her 30’s and has been self isolating in her home. The Las Animas Huerfano Counties District Health Department public health nurse has begun a contact investigation to determine if there were any additional exposures.
Public health consistently investigates disease outbreaks and will continue to do so, but what is important during this pandemic is that we all stay home and stay safe. No further details about this case will be shared to protect patient privacy.
The health department is looking out for the health and safety of our community and we are tracing all contacts of the individual. We would like to remind everyone that there is a Safer at Home Order.
What to do if you’re sick:
● Self-Isolate. If you develop a fever, cough or shortness of breath you may need to call your healthcare provider. Do not show up at a clinic, urgent care or the emergency department without calling ahead.
● Wear a mask and cover your cough or sneeze.
● Wash your hands frequently and don’t share personal items (drinking glass or utensils) with others.
● If possible, sleep in a bedroom and use a bathroom that is not used by other household members.
● Getting rest and drinking plenty of fluids will likely be helpful for recovery. Public Health officials also recommend residents prepare for an emergency that might require them to stay at home for several days, including having food supplies, water and medications. Protect yourself:
● Safer at Home: https://covid19.colorado.gov/safer-at-home
● Wear a mask when you leave your home or yard.
● Practice social distancing
● Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
● Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
● Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe
More information can be found at: https://www.colorado.gov/la-h-health or at https://covid19.colorado.gov/. You can also find information on Facebook at Las Animas Huerfano Counties District Health Department.