LAS ANIMAS HUERFANO COUNTIES DISTRICT HEALTH DEPARTMENT REMINDS PUBLIC OF PROCESS IN ANNOUNCING CONFIRMED POSITIVE COVID-19 CASES
For Immediate Release
Date: April 3, 2020
Contact: Kim Gonzales, Public Health Director
The public is reminded when results from a COVID-19 test are confirmed positive, the Las Animas Huerfano Counties District Health Department will notify the individual and immediately begin an investigation.
Local health officials will then release only the age, gender and county of residence to the public and the media, as per state guidelines.
The investigation of a confirmed positive COVID-19 case involves a public health employee speaking with the individual and determining who they may have had contact with in the 48 hours preceding the onset of symptoms. Anyone who is determined to have been in contact with the infected individual during that 48-hour period will be contacted by public health officials and advised to self-quarantine.
If public health officials determine through the investigation that there is a greater risk to the community at large, the community will be notified.
• Minimize social activities and being physically close to other people
• Isolate yourself if you feel symptoms of shortness of breath, cough, temperature of 100.4 or higher call your medical provider before visiting them.
• Do not go to the emergency room unless medically necessary.
• Wash your hands with soap regularly for 20 seconds.
• Cough or sneeze into elbow or tissue.
• Stay home when you’re sick.
• Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth.
• Avoid close contact with sick people.
• Clean surfaces frequently touched.
• Follow the Stay at Home order.
Las Animas Huerfano Counties District Health Department encourages residents to seek out credible, reliable sources of information on COVID-19: