Laborer - Gas Department
City of Trinidad, Colorado
Job Title: Laborer
Department: Gas Department
Salary: $16.71/hour following successful 6-month probation period at $15.04/hour
POSITION SUMMARY: Provides manual labor as related to the assigned department in the construction, maintenance and repair of municipal natural gas pipelines and facilities.
CULTURAL VALUES and COMPETENCIES:
The mission of every employee at the City of Trinidad is to deliver exceptional value and quality of life to all of our citizens. Each employee is measured by the ability to adhere to the City’s core value of Pride which is delivered through Purpose, Responsibility, Integrity, Dependability and Excellence. As a City we embrace and celebrate diversity and equity for all citizens and recognize that it is a privilege to serve the citizens of Trinidad, Colorado.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (The following statements are illustrative of the essential functions of the job and do not include other nonessential or peripheral duties that may be required. The City of Trinidad retains the right to modify or change the essential duties and additional functions of the job at any time without notice. Examples of duties are not intended to be all- inclusive or restrictive.)
- Performs unskilled manual labor as related to the assigned department in the construction, maintenance and repair of municipal natural gas pipelines and facilities.
- Assists with the installation, repair and replacement of natural gas pipelines, valves, meters, regulators and related appurtenances as necessary.
- Assists with the installation of new gas taps on pressurized gas mains, polyethylene pipe and fitting fusion bonding, installation of cathodic protection components and keeps written records.
- Use of basic tools, air compressor with pavement cutter, earth tampers, abrasive wheel cutters and other equipment. General driving duties including pickup trucks, dump trucks and trailer towing.
- Must sometimes work under adverse weather and work conditions. Heavy lifting may be required.
- Performs other miscellaneous tasks and job related duties as directed by supervisors.
- Must respond to emergency call outs and participate in the “on call” program.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Works under the general guidance and direction of the Foreman.
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: None.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
- Ability to analyze situations quickly and make independent decisions based on sound reasoning, good judgment, established procedures and proper interpretation of City ordinances.
- Ability to perform duties independently and with initiative.
- Ability to assist in training programs and instruct employees on new equipment.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment, while being able to maintain a professional and courteous attitude.
- Demonstrate strong organization skills and a willingness to be pro-active and accept new challenges.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously with frequent interruptions.
- Excellent communication skills both oral and written.
- Ability to prioritize projects and daily workload.
- Knowledge of computers and programs, utilities, and municipal operations.
- Knowledge of emergency procedures and processes.
- Ability to write detailed reports and read informational material.
- Ability to learn and understand complex principles and techniques.
- Ability to use mathematical formulas; add and subtract, multiply and divide; determine percentages, and use statistics.
- Knowledge of methods and equipment used in the operation of a gas distribution system and mechanical fitting ability.
- Knowledge of the PHMSA regulations.
- Ability to maintain effective working relations with superiors and subordinates.
- Following the completion of a 6-month probation, may join AFSCME union.
- May be required to work extra overtime hours, weekends or holidays in the event of emergencies. Hours of work are generally 7:00 am to 3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Must respond to emergency call outs and participate in the “on call” program.
- Ability to reliably and predictably carry out duties.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE and/or EDUCATION:
- High school education or G.E.D. or pursuit of degree and three to six months related experience or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE and/or EDUCATION:
- High school education or G.E.D. and six to twelve months related experience or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Additional vocational or trade school education is highly desirable.
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
- Must possess a valid current state-issued driver's license and not be under suspension, revocation or denial nor have any prior alcohol related driving offenses within the last five years.
- A class "A" Commercial Driver's License (CDL) is required or must be acquired within 6 months from date of hire at the applicant’s expense.
- Successful candidates must pass a background investigation, a physical examination in accordance with job duties and drug screen prior to employment.
- Must pass the City’s Drug and Alcohol program, the CDOT Drug and Alcohol program, and PHMSA regulations including pre-employment testing, post-accident testing, random testing, reasonable suspicion testing, return-to-duty testing, and follow-up testing.
- This position requires that future certifications in Operator Qualification (OQ), Poly Pipe Fusion (PF), Cathodic Protection (CP) be acquired as the opportunity and trainings are made available by the City
- CPR and First Aid training required.
- Successful passing of a City Gas Department examination may be required to qualify for the position (passing criteria, date and time of test will be announced if necessary).
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED:
Personal computer, Microsoft Office Suite, and databases; phone and copy machine.
Must be able to operate a variety of machines, equipment and tools which include a heavy motor vehicle, air compressor, metal detector, hand tools, mechanic tools, computer, telephone, etc.
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and/or move up to 75 pounds with or without assistance. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals. The employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts and fumes or airborne particles. The employee is frequently exposed to outside weather conditions; risk of electrical shock, dampness, direct sunlight, dust, pollen, insect stings, and animals. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
The undersigned certify that this Position Description has been reviewed and is understood.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified in this position.